Sunday, December 9, 2012

2012 Year in Review Part 1: Summer Superhero Showdown

Hello all!

2012 is quickly rushing to an end. This month on the blog, there will be some specific posts looking back on the year that has come and gone. Starting with this post, in which I will detail you about superhero movies.

The superhero genre is a giant moneymaker in Hollywood, and this year proved no different as three superhero movies fought their way through the box office this summer: The Avengers, The Amazing Spider Man, and The Dark Knight Rises.

The Avengers
Stats:
Domestic Earnings-$623,357,910
Worldwide Earnings-$1,511,757,910
Runtime-2 Hours, and 22 Minutes
Rated: PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action throughout, and a mild drug reference.
My Comments: A movie doesn't get much bigger than this. You have Iron Man, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, and Captain America in one movie. Having seen it six times on the big screen, it is easily my favorite superhero movie of all time.
With an entertaining and engaging plot, Humour and action well balanced, and a great cast of actors, if you haven't seen this movie, what the hell are you waiting for???

The Amazing Spider Man
Stats:
Domestic Earnings-$262,030,663
Worldwide Earnings-$752,216,557
Runtime-2 Hours, 16 Minutes
Rated: PG-13 for sequences of action and violence.
My Comments:The shortest of the three, and also the lowest grossing, The Amazing Spider Man was a reboot. It became one of the lowest attended in the series, most likely because it was a reboot. Having never seen the original trilogy, (I know, it's sad, right?) I can't compare to the original. I enjoyed this movie, however I thought it seemed to drag in places. It did have some humourous moments, though, so I'll give it that.

The Dark Knight Rises
Stats:
Domestic Earnings-$448,103,268
Worldwide Earnings-$1,081,005,456
Runtime-2 Hours, 45 Minutes
Rated: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, some sensuality and language.
My Comments: While 'The Avengers' made the most money, The Dark Knight Rises made headlines in other ways. It was the longest superhero movie of all time, clocking in at nearly three hours in length. It also, unfortunately, is known for the Theater shootings that took place at a midnight show in Colorado. (My heart goes out to the families.)
This was not my favorite movie in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. I'm still not exactly sure why, but it just doesn't live up to The Dark Knight in my mind. Maybe I'm just weird that way. :p

Overall winner: The Avengers. No contest. Coming in 2013: Iron Man 3, Man of Steel (Superman), The Wolverine, and Thor: The Dark World.

Until Next Time...:)
W.

No comments:

Post a Comment