Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pass The Salt...(What's in a Name?)

First off, just so everyone knows...this blog post is not about salt, or any substitute for salt, or really anything you sprinkle on food. It just seemed like an interesting title for a blog post, so I figured I'd use it before I forgot it.

This led me to ask myself...What's in a name? (Hence the second part of the title.)

First of all, for those of you who don't know what a name is (which I hope all of you do by now), a name is a word or term used for identification. 'My name is...' You get the idea.

Most of you know my name, because you know me. And most of you follow the link from my Facebook profile, so you already know my name is Matthew. In writing this post, I found a fun website called behindthename.com, which is where the following information (about my name, of course :p) came from.

PRONOUNCED: MATH-yoo (English)

Meaning & History
English form of Ματθαιος (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name מַתִּתְיָהוּ (Mattityahu) meaning "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles. He was a tax collector, and supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament. As an English name, Matthew has been in use since the Middle Ages.


Another example would be movie titles. I've made fun of movie titles as I've hung them on the marquee at the theater, as most recent as this last week. 'I wonder if they sing decently in "Pitch Perfect?" (The answer is a very enthusiastic YES!) This movie exceeded my expectations. While not my favorite movie of all time, (Sorry Kari) I still enjoyed it. And I've been rocking out as I hear it at the theater ever since I saw it. It feels good to do that once in a while. It just goes to show that there's more to everythin than a name may imply. The name isn't everything. Keep that in mind.

Oh, and I have some popcorn here. Would someone pass the salt?

Until Next Time...:)
W.

No comments:

Post a Comment