Saturday, February 23, 2013

Who Will Win Best Picture at the Oscars?

The Oscars are nearly here.

Ever since I started working at the movie theater in my town, I've followed the Oscars almost religously. This year, nine movies are nominated for the coveted best picture award. They are:
"Amour" "Argo" Beasts of the Southern Wild" Django Unchained" "Les Miserables" Life of Pi" "Lincoln" "Silver Linings Playbook" and "Zero Dark Thirty"



As I sat at work tonight, I went to work on an annual thing: predicting the Oscar winners. Last year, I succesfully predicted about 50% of the winners, and am hoping to do better this year.

The problem is picking my best picture winner.

There are a lot of good movies here. It'll be hard to pick just one, but I'm going to try it anyway, by eliminating them as I go.

First of all, I've only seen seven of these nine. So "Amour" and "Beasts of the Southern Wild," I'm sorry, but you are not worthy in my mind.

Same can be said for "Zero Dark Thirty." While it was well acted, and had some interesting moments, the movie seemed to drag in the middle. Maybe that's just me, but with the others listed here, it didn't really have a chance of getting to far.

This is where it started getting tricky, and I had to eliminate some that, in a weaker year, would be sure things. So, I eliminated "Django Unchained," "Les Miserables," and "Lincoln." Don't get me wrong, all three of these are great movies, and deserve viewing. They just aren't the best I've seen this year.

That left me with three movies left: "Argo," "Life of Pi," and "Silver Linings Playbook." I finally chose "Argo" as my choice for Best Picture, but it was a hard decision to come to, especially when you consider how much I loved "Life of Pi" and "Silver Linings Playbook." (By the way, "Silver Linings Playbook" will be showing at my place of work starting March 1st. I hope to see you there! :) )

I guess I'll find out tomorrow night if my prediction is correct, and I will see if I do better with all my predictions this year.

Until Next Time...:)

W.

1 comment: